Fiona

CafeMom Tickers

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Yes, We Survived!

Well, this past week has been interesting. On monday when the weather report said that we are going to have a major ice storm comming and it's going to be devestating, we took it with a grain of salt. Usually when they say, "4" of snow", we get either nothing or a slight dusting. Who knew that they were going to be right for once??!!
It is day 5 and we are at the in-laws far away from the devestation. When we left yesterday, day 4, we still had no power and it was driving me crazy! We were actually planning on coming here this weekend anyway before the storm, so it worked out great. We bought a generator on Thursday because we don't think the power is coming back anytime soon. We loaned it to our elderly neighbor, who is by herself, for the weekend. I hope she is enjoying it!
The freezing rain started Monday evening. My boss calls that night and says things are starting to get bad and that I can sleep in the next day because he's closing the clinic. The rain just kept on coming. All throughout Tuesday and Wednesday you could hear nothing but the tearing and falling limbs. It was kinda scary, especially when they would bounce off the house/roof or make the ground shake! The clinic had lost power for only 2 days, so on Thursday I was ready to get out of the darkened shell of my house and go to work for a couple of hours. I enjoyed the warmth there while I could and just did busy work. Not a whole lot of ppl were out and about because most of them still had no power. So, business was dead and I was warm!
I reckon we got at least 2" of ice and about 1/2" of snow. It was beautiful scenery until you see all the reckage. When I get home and electric/cable come back I will post some pics. I know it's all melted now, which means it's all muddy now, but there is a lot of clean up and dealing with insurance. I've heard that we should have power back on by this evening (Sunday) and to call again if we don't have it by midnight on Monday. Wish us luck!!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Well, I'll do as you ask: Good Luck.

That was nice of you to lend your generator while you are gone. Was it hard to get? I know when we get "disasters" all the supplies run out. Yeah, I know I live in a big city and that shouldn't happen, but for some reason Seattle is always unprepared.

tnunley said...

I actually got lucky with the generator. Yes, just about everyone was out of them and they were selling fast. I spotted a disaster relief truck selling generators from the back of it. I asked Theron to check it out when he got off work. They were selling them $300 cheaper than everybody else! So no we have a generator!